Dexa-Scan for Osteoporosis in Fresno, CA
Our Specialists at Fresno Medical Center offers dexa-scan for osteoporosis it is most often performed on the lower spine and hips to measure bone loss. Call (559) 206-4429 for more information or schedule an appointment online. We are located at 6069 N First St # 103, Fresno, CA 93710.
Dual-Energy X-ray Absorptiometry (DEXA) or bone densitometry is an enhanced form of x-ray technology that is used to measure bone loss. DEXA is most often performed on the lower spine and hips
DEXA is most often used to diagnose osteoporosis, a condition that often affects women after menopause. The DEXA test can also assess an individual’s risk for developing fractures.
DEXA Scan is strongly recommended if you:
- are a post-menopausal woman and not taking estrogen.
- use medications that are known to cause bone loss, such as Prednisone, or high-dose thyroid replacement drugs.
- have a thyroid condition, such as hyperthyroidism.
- have a parathyroid condition, such as hyperparathyroidism.
- have experienced a fracture after only mild trauma.